Sonntag, 11. Oktober 2015

What is it I like so much?

About Britain... all I know is that I don't appreciate UKIP. Conservative or not conservative is not the question. The question is: what is honest in politics? There are no strategies for honesty, only for war and dishonesty. That does NOT explain why certain politicians are not always honest. What is sad and - may I say - evil, are the low expectations people have when listening to statements, promises and declarations made by politicians.


To me, having just arrived in West Yorkshire,  it is the weather that counts first and foremost. Is it looking good or somehow hopeless? Does it matter so much? Then, as a continental European, still living in Vienna with my Yorkshire wife, I expect to find some good bread here, that projects friendly morning sun on our breakfast table. My expectations are high, but to find marvellous Austrian Roggenbrot without yeast may remain an illusion. The French baguette I was used to for many years, living in Paris and Strasbourg, has become a fata morgana. So, what remains, is porridge with raisins and nuts. Not bad at all, provided that our talent for making good coffee to go with, does not shrink at the same time.


Driving on the wrong side of the road means no longer the wrong side, it means being extremely vigilant when old ladies or dogs want to cross the street. The permanent reminder of slowing down now is difficult to be taken seriously after the first 100 miles driving in this country. The clearly signalled speed limit could suffice. So, what is it I like so much  in this blessed country? The way, they strictly come dancing and.....................a good portion of battered haddock which foreigners know under the name of Fish 'n Chips. To come back to politics: is UK OK? Oh, yes, but UKIP sounds strange. I don't believe them!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen